Gleim RTRP Review System
You have come to the right place to become an RTRP. With more than 40 years of experience,
Dr. Gleim and his team have helped over a million accountants earn their EA designations, CPA licenses, and
CMA/CIA certifications. Now Gleim will help you earn your Return Preparer designation.
Because our learning system is so advanced, yet easy to understand, we
guarantee that you will
pass the RTRP exam.
The Gleim RTRP Review System, developed by Dr. Gleim, will help you
pass the RTRP exam with less difficulty, cost, and frustration. The RTRP Review System includes RTRP Gleim Online Exam Prep, RTRP Question Bank
Online, and the RTRP Exam Rehearsal, and is up-to-date with content for
the current RTRP exam.
Get all the CE credit you need!
In addition, passing the End of Course Test in Gleim Online Exam Prep qualifies you
for the 10 hours of CE credit for federal tax law topics required of all RTRPs annually. Optional 2-hour ethics and 3-hour federal
tax update courses are included at no extra charge. This allows you to complete in one place all 15 hours of CE
required by the IRS annually.
Already an RTRP or just need your 2012 or 2013 CE hours?
If you already passed the RTRP exam and just need to fulfill your CE requirements, or you are a provisional PTIN
holder and have not completed the required CE for 2012 or 2013, then
you may take advantage of our specially priced RTRP CE Bundle.
RTRP Gleim Online Exam Prep Return
Our RTRP Gleim Online Exam Prep course contains 9 study units, each with the following
Instructional Elements. Click on each element to learn more about it.
- Preliminary Quiz - Identify weak areas by taking a 20-question true/false
- Knowledge Transfer Outline - Study the information in written
form. You may also watch the Audiovisual presentation before reading the outline if you like.
- Audiovisual Presentation - Learn about the material's important
concepts and relate them to your past experiences.
- Study Quiz - Gauge your understanding of what you have learned.
- Final Quiz - Test your retention in a simulated exam environment.
After you complete the nine study units, you can take an End of Course Test
to test your overall knowledge and receive CE credit. In addition, you can go to RTRPBlog.com to stay current on all topics regarding RTRP.
- Get started with a Preliminary Quiz consisting of 20 true/false questions that are meant to identify
your weak areas.
- This quiz is interactive, and as you answer the questions, you will instantly receive
- You will see a thorough explanation of why the answer is either correct or incorrect.
- Every quiz you take will be recorded, giving you the opportunity to go back and review any questions
you answered incorrectly.
Proceed to Step 2 How to Study with the Gleim RTRP Review
2. Knowledge Transfer OutlineReturn to Top
- The outlines provide you with interactive views of all the IRS tax forms you need to be
familiar with as well as numerous examples of the different tax laws you should understand.
- Outlines can be saved or printed for convenient offline study or later reference as needed.
- The Gleim Knowledge Transfer Outline format is designed to present just the points you need in a
logical, well-organized arrangement that is easy to understand and remember.
- Our team of accounting experts will always keep the outline content up to date with the rapidly
changing requirements of the tax field and of the RTRP exam, so you can be sure you are not studying
incorrect or outdated content.
- In addition, we provide you with simple Core Concepts that summarize what you have learned in the
Proceed to Step 3 How to Study with the Gleim RTRP Review
3. Audiovisual PresentationReturn to Top
- The Audiovisual Presentation is an overview of the material presented in each study unit.
- Audio files are combined with a concise power-point presentation for ultimate knowledge transfer.
- The Audiovisual Presentations are separated into sections, allowing you to view however many short
clips you have time for.
- You are in control of how the text is displayed. You can change the heading and text
colors with ease. Pause, rewind, and replay as many times as you need to.
- You can also take notes within the presentation. The notes stay online and can be accessed from any
computer. Study on your own time and from anywhere.
Proceed to Step 4 How to Study with the Gleim RTRP Review System
- Use the Study Quiz to practice answering multiple-choice and true/false questions to gauge your
understanding of what you have learned.
- You will receive immediate feedback on your answers.
- All answer choices (correct and incorrect) present a thorough explanation to cement
your understanding of the concept.
- The Study Quiz is not timed, so you should proceed at your own pace, making sure you understand the
correct answer to each question before moving on to the next.
Proceed to Step 5 How to Study with the Gleim RTRP Review System
- The Final Quiz is the most important instructional element. It will put all your knowledge of the
topics in each study unit to the test.
- The Final Quiz emulates the actual testing environment. You will know exactly how the real exam
behaves. We provide a timer set to 25 minutes (which allows 45 seconds per question plus 10
minutes to research in publication 17 for questions you are uncertain about). In addition, our screens
mimic Prometric (the IRS-authorized test center for the RTRP exam).
- Our emulation even includes the same links for the forms and publications that you will have access to
during the actual exam!
- Once you have graded your attempt, you will immediately be directed to a Review Session for the chance
to view which questions you answered incorrectly and analyze and understand why you missed them. This is a
critical part of the Gleim learning system.
Proceed to Step 6 How to Study with the Gleim RTRP Review System
- You will take the End of Course Test once you have passed the Final Quizzes for all 9 study units.
- Passing the End of Course Test qualifies you for the 10 hours of Continuing Education (CE)
credit for federal tax law topics required for all
- The test is comprised of 50 questions drawn from the entire range of topics tested on the RTRP
- Like the Final Quiz, the End of Course Test emulates the Prometric exam environment. The questions look
like they will at Prometric, and the reference forms and publications are available in the same format as
on the RTRP exam.
Proceed to RTRP Question Bank Online
How to Study with the Gleim RTRP Review
- RTRP Question Bank Online is the newest addition to the Gleim RTRP Review System. This instructional
element is designed to improve your study process and test your knowledge in an interactive environment.
- The Gleim RTRP Question Bank Online is meant to be used as additional practice for any weak areas revealed
in the RTRP Gleim Online Exam Prep. After you complete all study units in the RTRP Gleim Online Exam Prep,
create quizzes in RTRP Question Bank for any study unit in which you scored less than a 75% in Gleim
- Question Bank allows you to practice answering RTRP exam-emulating questions for every area of study
you can expect to see on the exam. With two study options, you can choose to receive immediate feedback
when you answer a question (study session) or wait until you have answered every question to receive your
score and review your answers (practice exam). Our thorough answer explanations allow you to understand why
you missed the questions you did so you do not make the same mistakes on the actual exam.
- Once you have completed each quiz, you will be given detailed performance information to show you the
areas in which you need more study time. You can then easily go back and take more quizzes on the same
subject but with different questions drawn from our large question bank.
- When you feel that you have taken enough quizzes and are performing at your goal level of expertise
(e.g., scoring at least a 75% on each quiz), you should take the Gleim RTRP Exam Rehearsal to test yourself
in an authentic exam environment.
Proceed to Exam Rehearsal How to Study with the Gleim RTRP Review
Take an RTRP Exam Rehearsal after you have completed the RTRP Gleim Online Exam Prep course and shortly
BEFORE you take the actual exam to gain experience in the Prometric computer-based exam environment. The
Exam Rehearsal is 2.5 hours (150 minutes) long and contains 120 multiple-choice and true/false questions, just
like the RTRP exam. Therefore, it tests you not only on the content you have studied, but also on the
question-answering and time-management techniques you have learned.
For the most realistic exam experience, we suggest you complete the entire exam in one sitting, just like the
actual RTRP exam. Once you have completed the Exam Rehearsal and received your grade, you will be provided with a
Review Session that shows which questions were answered incorrectly. Additionally, you will be able to study
answer explanations to assist you in learning the topics. Use RTRP Question Bank Online for last minute practice
of weak areas found during the Exam Rehearsal.
- Make sure you have an adequate amount of time set aside to complete the entire exam (2.5 hours).
- Prepare yourself to answer one question per 45 seconds. (If you have used the RTRP Gleim Online Exam
Prep course, the Final Quizzes will have already acclimated you to this pace.) One question per 45 seconds
allows you to complete all 120 questions in 90 minutes, leaving you 60 minutes to research Publication 17
for any questions you are unsure of. You MUST be able to manage your time on the RTRP
- Review your overall score and a breakdown of your performance in different areas immediately upon
completion. Your Personal Counselor will also receive
your score and breakdown.
- Study the Review Session. Use the answer explanations to understand why you missed the questions you
- Consult with your Personal Counselor if needed to discuss where you should focus your
review during the final days before your exam.
- Use RTRP Question Bank Online to practice and study any weak areas revealed by the Exam Rehearsal.
Proceed to How to Study with the Gleim RTRP Review
How to Study with the Gleim RTRP Review
SystemReturn to Top
“Our mission is to maximize knowledge transfer
while minimizing your time, frustration, and cost.”
- Dr. Irvin Gleim, Ph.D., CIA, CMA/CFM, CPA, CFII
Self-evaluate your knowledge, test-taking ability, and determination by using the following steps in
completing your initial pass through each study unit. These steps integrate all of the elements in the RTRP Gleim
Online Exam Prep course, the RTRP Question Bank Online, and the RTRP Exam Rehearsal. You can complete this course
in 30 hours!
- (20 minutes) Complete the Preliminary Quiz, which contains 20 relatively easy true/false
questions. It is interactive and gives you immediate feedback on your answer choices.
- (20 to 60 minutes) Study the Knowledge Transfer Outline to review the areas of weakness
you discovered from the Preliminary Quiz while answering these questions. Learn the concepts, rules, formulas,
- (10 to 45 minutes) Watch the Audiovisual Presentation for an engaging overview of the
study unit. You can watch this before reading the Outline if you wish.
- (25 minutes, including 10 minutes for review) Complete the Study Quiz, which contains
multiple-choice and true/false questions. After selecting your answer choice for each question, you will
immediately see whether you answered the question correctly. If you were correct, read the explanation to
cement your understanding. If you were incorrect, click on the other answer choices and read their
explanations until you have found the correct answer and understand why you answered the question incorrectly
the first time.
- (25 minutes, including 10 minutes for Publication 17 research, and 10 minutes after grading to review)
Complete the Final Quiz, which contains multiple-choice and true/false questions in a test
environment. Be sure to leave yourself 10 minutes at the end to research in Publication 17 for any questions
you were uncertain about. Immediately following the quiz, you will be prompted to review questions you marked
and/or answered incorrectly. For each question, analyze and understand why you answered it incorrectly.
This step is an essential learning activity.
Once you have completed Steps 1 through 5 for all 9 study units in the RTRP Gleim Online Exam Prep, proceed to
Steps 6 through 8.
- (60 minutes) Take the 50-question End of Course Test to further assess your understanding
of the material. When you pass with a score of 70% or more, you qualify to receive 10 hours of
CE credit for federal tax law topics. (You can also take the optional 2-hour ethics and
3-hour tax law update courses to ensure that you have completed all the annual CE credits that you need.)
- (Unlimited time) OPTIONAL: Cement your understanding of every topic by creating 20-question study
sessions and practice exams in RTRP Question Bank Online. This step is only necessary if you did not
achieve at least a 75% in each Study Unit's Final Quiz from the RTRP Gleim Online Exam Prep. Completing these
practice exams in 25 minutes will ensure that you are comfortable with the pace you need to maintain on the RTRP
exam. You should answer each question in 45 seconds. Use the remaining 10 minutes for Publication 17 research
at the end. Doing numerous sets of practice exams with randomly selected questions will assist you in deepening your
knowledge on all topics so that you are an expert on the RTRP test material.
- (150 minutes, including 60 minutes of research in Publication 17) Take the RTRP Exam Rehearsal
shortly before you take the actual exam. The Exam Rehearsal mimics the RTRP exam in all possible ways:
the timer is set for the same amount of time you'll have on test day, and the screen mimics the look and
functionality of the screens at Prometric, including the forms and publications (e.g., Publication 17) you'll
be able to refer to.
RTRP Review System (Gleim Online + 15 CE Credits + Question
Bank + Exam Rehearsal)Return to Top
The RTRP Review System is comprised of RTRP Gleim Online Exam Prep (which ), RTRP Question
Bank Online, and RTRP Exam Rehearsal. The complete RTRP Review System is accessed online, and can be used from any
computer with an internet connection. No need to wait or pay for expensive shipping.
Order the RTRP Review System at the low combined set price of $189.95. Regular price of individual components would total $309.90 if
purchased separately. Save $119.95 by ordering the complete review system! Remember, the Gleim
system is effective, intuitive, and cost-efficient.
Our RTRP material is always up to date for the current RTRP exam. You will have 12 months of access, so you
can complete the system at your leisure. However, you can pass with this Review System in only 30 hours of study!
NOTE: Passing the End of Course Test in the RTRP Gleim Online Exam Prep qualifies you to receive the 10 hours
of IRS-approved CE credit for federal tax law topics required of all RTRPs annually. In addition, optional 2-hour
ethics and 3-hour federal tax update CE courses are included at no extra charge, allowing you to complete all 15
hours of CE required by the IRS annually. (All credits also eligible for California Tax Education Council
Already an RTRP or just need your 2012 or 2013 CE hours?
If you already passed the RTRP exam and just need to fulfill your CE requirements, or you are a provisional PTIN
holder and have not completed the required CE for 2012 or 2013, then you may take advantage of our specially
priced RTRP CE Bundle.
We recommend that you purchase the complete RTRP Review System (see above) to master and pass the RTRP with as
little time commitment as possible. However, if you have already studied with a different provider and feel you
need extra practice, you may purchase the Question Bank by itself for only $119.95.
Remember, the RTRP Question Bank Online has over 1,200 questions, allowing you to create an unlimited amount
of study sessions and practice exams. Our simulation of the actual RTRP exam environment is without equal, so you will be
completely at ease on test day. The Performance Analysis feature will show you exactly which topics you have
mastered and which you need to continue to review.
RTRP Continuing Education Bundle ONLYReturn to Top
This special bundle is meant for people that either have a provisional PTIN, or already
the RTRP competency exam and have not
completed the required 15 hours of CE
for 2012 or 2013 year. If you have not passed
the RTRP, then you should purchase the
RTRP Review System
listed above, which includes 15 CE hours for either 2012
or 2013 (but not both) at no extra charge.
This RTRP CE Bundle includes 5 courses, providing you with the necessary hours to comply with the IRS 2012 or
. You may access these courses from any computer
that has internet access. You are able to re-take CE tests as many times as necessary to pass. CE credits are
reported electronically to the IRS once a week.
RTRPs or RTRP Candidates: Gleim has received notification from the IRS that as of Friday, January 18, 2013,
"continuing education is not currently mandatory for tax return preparers who have a registered tax return
preparer certificate or who were planning to obtain the registered tax return preparer designation." You may
choose to voluntarily continue with your RTRP CE on your own, but it is not currently required by the IRS.
You can order the RTRP Exam Rehearsal (only $30!) by itself if you have studied with
another provider but would like more practice before taking the exam. Save yourself time and money by
taking an exam that is specifically created to emulate the Prometric screens and questions. If you
purchase the RTRP Review System (described above), the Exam Rehearsal is included as a complimentary bonus
Questions about the RTRP Exam?Return to Top
Need help? Contact Gleim
Or read our other helpful areas about the RTRP Exam below.
Exam Information and RequirementsReturn to Top
Individuals who are compensated for preparation of a federal tax return are required to pass a
competency exam (the Registered Tax Return Preparer Exam) in order to become an IRS Registered Tax Preparer.
The following are the only return preparers exempted from the competency examination requirement:
- Certified Public Accountants
- Enrolled Agents
- Supervised preparers
This requirement is designed to increase the availability of well-educated and competent tax return preparers
who are better able to prevent errors and thereby save the taxpayer from problems after filing. In addition, the
overall Return Preparer program further cements the IRS's commitment to ensuring that all tax practitioners, tax
return preparers, and other third parties in the tax system adhere to professional standards and follow the law.
Under Treasury Department Circular 230, preparers who are not an attorney, CPA, enrolled agent, enrolled
actuary, or enrolled retirement plan agent are limited to only representing clients during an examination of any
return they have personally prepared.
NOTE: Every person who works on Federal Income Tax Returns should take the Registered Tax
Preparer Exam and have a PTIN. Do not get treated as a second-class tax preparer because you have not taken the
RTRP Exam. It's easy with Gleim! Begin today by ordering Gleim RTRP Review System, which guarantees you will pass!
For detailed information on Registered Tax Return Preparer requirements, click on each topic below.
For additional information, view our Frequently Asked Questions about
the RTRP Exam.
The IRS selected Prometric, Inc. to develop and administer all aspects of the Registered Tax Return Preparer
In 2011, the IRS released Prometric's exam content outlines for this exam, which they called IRS Return Preparer Test
Specifications (PDF file). Information was gathered from the IRS and the preparer community to ensure that
the test reflects the necessary knowledge and capabilities of a tax return preparer.
Gleim has developed an RTRP Review System to prepare you for the Tax Preparer exam. Gleim RTRP is now
available at the low combined set price of $189.95. Purchase the
Gleim RTRP Review System for the IRS Registered Tax Return Preparer competency examination. We are confident
that our superior materials that utilize our Knowledge Transfer System will help you PASS the first time. In
addition, passing an End of Course Test in the Gleim Online course qualifies you to receive the 10 hours of CE
credit for federal tax law topics required of all Registered Tax Preparers annually. Optional 2-hour ethics and
3-hour federal tax update CE courses are included at no extra charge. This allows you to complete all 15 hours of
CE required by the IRS annually.
Just as Gleim has helped thousands of
candidates pass the EA exam, Gleim can help you succeed on the new Registered Tax Return Preparer exam.
See what our users had to say.
Additional information about the Tax Preparer Exam can be found on our FAQ
- Prepares you for the nondisclosed Prometric computer-based exam -- We solicit feedback
from Gleim users following each exam, which helps us fine-tune our study materials. NOTE: We are in total
compliance with the IRS/Prometric guidelines. We do NOT accept any information about specific RTRP competency
exam questions (which is prohibited by the IRS/Prometric). We do, however, ask all Gleim users to tell us
which topics in our study material need to be added, expanded, or deleted. Please email us after your
- Intuitively appealing -- Gleim is easy to understand and easy to study. Rather than extra
work, Gleim products are perceived as extra help. Gleim exam preparation materials are used in live Reviews across the world and at Universities throughout the
- Helps you understand why you answer practice Tax Preparer exam questions incorrectly --
Gleim helps you to avoid making mistakes on the actual exam. Most candidates are overly concerned with the
correct answers, whereas understanding why you selected each incorrect answer is the key to improving
- EFFECTIVE -- We can help! When using Gleim exam review systems, Gleim candidates
experience over 90% success when they complete 90% of the work.
- Cost Effective -- The mission of Gleim is to provide the most effective knowledge
transfer system and to assist users in achieving success with the minimum investment of time and