CPA exam scores are reported on a scale that runs from 0 to 99. A total score of 75 is required to pass each section. The total score is not a percent correct score. Rather, it is a combination of scores from the multiple-choice, simulation, and written communication portions of the exam. For AUD, FAR, and REG, the multiple-choice questions count for 60% of the total score, and simulations comprise the other 40%. For BEC, multiple-choice questions count for 85% of the total, while the written communication testlet is 15% of the total score. There are no minimum scores required on the different kinds of questions or on different content areas within each section to earn a passing score.
Implications for CPA candidates: Maximize your score and your chance of passing by maximizing the number of correct responses within all testlets.
- Learn and understand as much of what is tested as possible.
- Practice and perfect your question-answering technique, including educated guessing.
- Practice your time budgeting (about 1.5 minutes per multiple-choice question) and use of a Gleim Time Management Sheet.
- Do your best.