§ 142.54 – Airline transport pilot certification training program.
No certificate holder may use a person nor may any person serve as an instructor in a training program approved to meet the requirements of § 61.156 of this chapter unless the instructor:
(a) Holds an airline transport pilot certificate with an airplane category multiengine class rating;
(b) Has at least 2 years of experience as a pilot in command in operations conducted under § 91.1053(a)(2)(i) or § 135.243(a)(1) of this chapter, or as a pilot in command or second in command in any operation conducted under part 121 of this chapter;
(c) Except for the holder of a flight instructor certificate, receives initial training on the following topics:
(1) The fundamental principles of the learning process;
(2) Elements of effective teaching, instruction methods, and techniques;
(3) Instructor duties, privileges, responsibilities, and limitations;
(4) Training policies and procedures; and
(d) If providing training in a flight simulation training device—
(1) Holds an aircraft type rating for the aircraft represented by the flight simulation training device utilized in the training program and have received training and evaluation within the preceding 12 months from the certificate holder on the maneuvers that will be demonstrated in the flight simulation training device; and
(2) Satisfies the requirements of § 142.53(a)(4).
(e) A certificate holder may not issue a graduation certificate to a student unless that student has completed all the curriculum requirements of the course.
(f) A certificate holder must conduct evaluations to ensure that training techniques, procedures, and standards are acceptable to the Administrator.